Date:      Fri, 06 Nov 2009 23:41:12 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Performance issues with 8.0 ZFS and sendfile/lighttpd

Thomas Backman wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>
>> Ivan Voras wrote:

>>> For what it's worth, I have just set up a little test on a production
>>> machine with 3 500 GB SATA drives in RAIDZ, FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE. The
>>> total data set is some 2 GB in 5000 files but the machine has only 2 GB
>>> RAM total so there is some disk IO - about 40 IOPS per drive. I'm also
>>> using Apache-worker, not lighty, and siege to benchmark with 10
>>> concurrent users.
>>>
>>> In this setup, the machine has no problems saturating a 100 Mbit/s link
>>> - it's not on a LAN but the latency is close enough and I get ~~ 11
>>> MB/s.
>>
>> [...]
>> /boot/loader.conf:
>>
>> ## eLOM support
>> hw.bge.allow_asf="1"
>> ## gmirror RAID1
>> geom_mirror_load="YES"
>> ## ZFS tuning
>> vm.kmem_size="1280M"
>> vm.kmem_size_max="1280M"
>> kern.maxvnodes="400000"
>> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
>> vfs.zfs.arc_min="16M"
>> vfs.zfs.arc_max="128M"

> I won't pretend to know much about this area, but your ZFS values here
> are very low. May I assume that they are remnants of the times when the
> ARC grew insanely large and caused a kernel panic?
> You're effectively forcing ZFS to not use more than 128MB cache, which
> doesn't sound like a great idea if you've got 2+ GB of RAM. I've had no
> trouble without any tuning whatsoever on 2GB for a long time now. The
> kmem lines can probably be omitted if you're on amd64, too (the default
> value for kmem_size_max is about 307GB on my machine).

Yes, loader values are one year old when I installed this machine. But I
think auto tuning was commited after 7.2-RELEASE by Kip Macy, so some of
them are still needed or am I wrong? (this is 7.2-RELEASE). I can grow
arc_max but as this machine is running about 6 jails (not CPU or disk IO
consuming), I still need some memory for processes, not just for filesystem.