Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 08:58:03 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        shawnb@ecst.csuchico.edu (Shawn Brown)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bpf woes

Shawn Brown stands accused of saying:
> Recently I've upgraded to 2.0.5-RELEASE from 2.0-RELEASE.  For the life of
> me I can't figure out why I can't get the bpf devices to attach to my
> network interfaces.  I have an ep (3c509), sl, ppp, lo, and tun.  I have
> allocated 6 bpf devices in the kernel config, yet when I boot on the new
> kernel, the bpf devices don't attach, and when I try and run tcpdump on
> any of the interfaces that are up, it tells me that /dev/bpf? is not
> configured.
>
> Anyone know what's up?

Yeah, the bpf pseudo-device isn't configured in your kernel.  It wasn't
with 2.0R either, IIRC, so you must have gone through this at least once
before 8)  Read the FAQ on rebuilding your kernel, and study the LINT
example to see how to configure bpf.

> Shawn

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[