Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:02:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 installation problems

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > The 'adding route' freeze irritates the *&^%( out of me.  There are
> > > several different things that can go wrong at this point and there's no
> > > easy way to tell which one it is.
> >
> > Is there *ANY* way to debug this?  I never had this problem this problem
> > in 2.2.5 days.  But now I get it for *every* install of 2.2.7 or 3.0.
> > I'm seeing "hangs" upto 5 minutes.
> >
> > All ranges of cards (fxp0, de0, ed0, xl0) on several different subnets
> > with different hubs/routers on campus.
>
> Sysinstall ifconfig's the interface, then exec's
> "route -n add default x.x.x.x"
>
> I added the '-n' in an attempt to reduce the delay in the case where
> the nameserver was slow or unreachable (eg. due to error).
>
> Debugging it is relatively straightforward; build yourself a copy of
> sysinstall (cd src/release/sysinstall; make), then run it.  You can
> experiment with taking various interfaces down before you start it,
> reboot and come up single-user, etc.

It's not route, it's the (unannounced) nameserver lookup for the FTP site
that immediately follows the route add.  If you turn debugging on and
watch quickly you can see 'Found DNS entry for ftp.freebsd.org
successfully...' come up just after the 'add route' box and then the
'logging in to ftp.freebsd.org' box immediately replaces it.

Poking through sysinstall, in media.c line 370, it calls init(networkDev)
which calls the route add.  Upon sucess is sets up some ftp items then
calls inet_addr and gethostbyname, without notifying the user or printing
a debug, so it appears that its jamming on the route add when in fat it's
gethostbyname.

Someone should throw a dialog box or debug entry in there to let the user
know whats really going on, then try to figure out why inet_addr and/or
gethostbyname never times out.

Doug White