Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 18:15:28 -0500
From:      dkelly@iquest.com (David Kelly)
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   VM Page Fault in Kernel crash

I have a 486DX33 with 8M RAM running FreeBSD-stable from Sept 15 or so that
dies trying to access a non-existant vm page after several hours of heavy
number crunching and swapping. Did same with 2.0.5R, then I saw some of the
vm source files had changed in -stable so I upgraded (no improvement).

Another 486 of similar configuration (but everything is different, don't
you know) has run the the same problem for the last 9 hours. Sounds like
faulty motherboard hardware to me but I'd like some supporting evidence
before I trash the wrong thing (or sell it to a Windows user).

        Good System                     Bad System
        Intel 486DX33                   Intel 486DX33
        Symphony chipset                ETEQ chipset
        8M RAM, 100ns 2WS               8M RAM, 70ns ?WS
        UltraStor 14F                   Adaptec 1542CF
        Conner 510M IDE HD              Maxtor AV850 IDE
        Quantum 105M SCSI-I             Quantum 105M SCSI-II
        Tandberg TDC3660                Tandberg TDC3660
        NE2000 clone (jumperless)       NE2000 clone (jumpered)

Both systems are configured with 32M swap on each HD for a total of 64M.
Its not unusual to see 40M swapped out running this task, altho a single
task is rarely larger than 16M or 17M (are we hitting somewhere near a
magic number?) No X, no difference on ethernet or off.

The kernel is GENERIC, minus some drivers that are not present on my
systems. Added "options DDB" and "options DIAGNOSTIC" to the bad system and
got it to reproduce the problem more often. And best of all now it stops
forever rather than restart. So where do I go from here?

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@iquest.com