Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:05:31 -1000
From:      David Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atheros adhoc mode

At 03:43 PM 9/8/2003 -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
>David Cornejo writes:
>| We're evaluating the Soekris 4801 and a 5212 based mini-PCI radio - It
>| works well enough in infrastructure mode, but I'm having problems with
>adhoc.
>|
>| When the radio is operating in adhoc mode, I see multicast traffic, but no
>| unicast traffic.  However, if I run tcpdump on the ath interface I get
>| sporadic traffic.
>|
>| It's possible I'm still misconfigured, but the fact that putting the
>| interface into promiscuous mode changes the behavior of the interface kinda
>| points elsewhere.  We have this application running fine on 4521s with both
>| an & wi radios.
>|
>| Is this a known problem?
>
>Heh, Dave how's it going?  If by chance you are doing ad-hoc to an
>Aironet card I feel your pain.  I have to go into promiscious mode
>to get the Atheros card to talk to my Aironet ad-hoc network.  Even
>then it drops lots of packets.  I'm not doing multicast.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm seeing, except that I'm using Prism
cards with the Atheros cards.  I do have an Aironet network operating in
the area though.

>I haven't done any debugging.  My Aironet cards work just fine it
>the same ad-hoc network.

Unfortunately, my app can't afford the Aironet cards, especially
unfortunate with all I know about them.

I'm trying to sanitize my config and get the debug stuff that Sam asked for
last night and I'll post them ASAP.