Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 12:29:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        "John H. Waaser" <waas@mindspring.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing Free BSD over the Internet

[Please format your text properly or use a better mailer.]

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, John H. Waaser wrote:

> I attempted to install a copy of Free BSD on a new computer the other night,
 and got as far as the NETWORK CONFIGURATION screen.

> I called my ISP, MINDSPRING, who said that this was a non-supported
 operating system, and they could not help me.

They certainly can help you.  Not with FBSD setup, but with the
information you need for it.

> The screen comes up and asks for the following:
>
> HOST:                                                            DOMAIN

Host = whatever you want to call it.  (If you also have win95 use the same
thing you have as Computer Name under identification in the Network
Applet.)

Domain = mindspring.com

> GATEWAY                                                     NAME SERVER

Gateway = get it from Mindspring...They don't need to know what you're
using, just that you need the Gateway.  If you have to lie, say you're
using Trumpet on an Win3.1

Name Servers = Same as above.  You can only put in one during this part of
the setup...after you get goin you can add the alternate in
/etc/resolv.conf

> Configuration for interface lp0 >

lp0?  Not the one you want.  It's for use with two puters connected
through their parallel ports.

> IP Address                                                      Net Mask
>
> Extra options:
>
> I assumed that the host should be ftp.freebsd.org, but my ISP said it
> should be ftp.mindspring.com.

Neither.

> Domain appears to be filled in automatically from the information in
>Host.
>
> I have no clue on Gateway
> Name Server I presume is Mindspring's DNS server, 207.69.188.185
>
> No doubt it should be looking for a different interface, and I presume
 that the modem installed in the machine is not compatible. It automatically
 looks on COM1, so I reconfigured the modem for that, but apparently it is a
 software controlled modem which does not wake up until WIN 95 speaks to it.
 I guess I will put an external modem on COM1 once I get the rest of this
 figured out.

Winmodems suck.  :)

> Then it asks for IP address and Net Mask. I have no clue what to put here.

You can use 0.0.0.0 for IP address, this will be set when you dial in.

Netmask = 255.255.255.0

> Then there is a line for extra options. I have no clue what to put here.

You can leave it blank.

Jeremy Shaffner					JORSM Internet
Senior Technical Support 		  Northwest Indiana's Premium
jer@jorsm.com				   Internet Service Provider
support@jorsm.com			     http://www.jorsm.com