Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:01:53 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "John Sullivan" <john@basicnets.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh 7.0 Install: Fatal Trap 12 panic when put under load

--==_Exmh_1216227713_38076P

> From: "John Sullivan" <john@basicnets.co.uk>
> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:38:26 +0100
>

> > Could be memory, but I'd also suggest looking at
> > temperatures. I've had overheating systems produce lots of
> > such errors.
>
> Temperature is fine - it never get's that hot here in the UK ;-)
> Seriously, I put my hand in the box, touched a few heat sync's, it is
> not running hot enough to cause a problem.  The BIOS reports that all
> is well with the temperature inside the box of just over 30 degrees C.

It's not the heat sink temperature that I am concerned with. It is the
temperature of the CPU and (if it's not AMD) the north bridge. I have
encountered several cases of improper heat sink installation which
resulted in poor transfer from the chip to the heat sink. Cleaning and
properly applying heat transfer grease made a huge difference.

You say that BIOS is reporting a 30C temperature. If this is the CPU
temperature when the CPU is busy, I don't believe it. I have a system
where the BIOS (via ACPI) reports the temperature as 35C, regardless of
how long the system has been under power or what it is doing.

I'm not at all sure that the problem is thermal, but I don't think you
should dismiss the possibility too quickly.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1216227713_38076P