Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:43:25 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Phillip Salzman <phill@rumfish.corp.gulf.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leaks?

>I'm having a very strange problem.  We are attempting to rsync var/mail
>from a BSD/OS 3.1 machine, to its replacement, a FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE
>box.
>
>This uses a lot of memory, in theory, but it should release it when
>completed.  I'd think :)
>
>---------------------
> Before
>---------------------
>CPU states:  1.2% user,  0.0% nice,  0.8% system,  0.4% interrupt, 97.7%
>idle
>Mem: 7988K Active, 6796K Inact, 14M Wired, 8283K Buf, 222M Free
>Swap: 256M Total, 256M Free
>
>---------------------
> After
>---------------------
>CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  100%
>idle
>Mem: 10M Active, 214M Inact, 14M Wired, 10M Cache, 8337K Buf, 896K Free
>Swap: 256M Total, 256M Free
>
>Please note that rsync died on an out of memory error.

   rsync dieing and the above memory numbers are unrelated. The above is
telling you that rsync read through a lot of files (perhaps to calculate
checksums?) and that they are now cached in memory.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.