Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 00:59:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports/19458: Both /usr/ports/math/PDL and /usr/ports/pilot/coldsync have /usr/local dependencies.

Matthew Emmerton writes:
> > sobomax@FreeBSD.org writes:
> > > Synopsis: Both /usr/ports/math/PDL and /usr/ports/pilot/coldsync have
> /usr/local dependencies.
> > >
> > > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > > State-Changed-By: sobomax
> > > State-Changed-When: Tue Aug 22 06:01:24 PDT 2000
> > > State-Changed-Why:
> > > You did it wrong. LOCALBASE *doesn't* control port's destination prefix,
> PREFIX
> > > variable should be used for this purpose instead. Please read Handbook
> for
> > > details.
> >
> > What do you mean by "it"? If you mean "setting the port's destination
> > prefix", that I did right. PREFIX is set to LOCALBASE (see the
> > Porter's Handbook, Section 15.12). If you mean something else, could
> > you please provide details.
>
> What Section 15.12 means is that you should use ${PREFIX} throughout your
> Makefiles.  If, during a make, a value for ${PREFIX} isn't given on the
> command line (such as make PREFIX=/var/tmp/<portname>, as in the example in
> Section 17), then the ports subsystem will automatically substitute
> ${LOCALBASE} for ${PREFIX}.  ${LOCALBASE} is set by the ports subsystem
> based on various parameters (such as USE_X_PREFIX), and can't be overridden
> by the user.  ${PREFIX} can.  Hence, your makefiles should use ${PREFIX}.

Correct, makefiles should use PREFIX for the names of their
destination files (I have done that one wrong more than once) and
LOCALBASE for references to files from other ports.

However, did you read the PR? There are no makefiles, or changes to
makefiles, attached. All I did was report a bug. Possibly it was the
wrong bug.

If you set LOCALBASE in /etc/make.conf, should ports that aren't in
the X tree be installed in what I set LOCALBASE to? If so, then this
port is (or maybe was) broken. If not, then damn near every port in
the tree is broken. If I'm not supposed to set LOCALBASE in
/etc/make.conf, then tell me where to set it, and I'll try again.

	<mike