Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2019 14:03:59 -0400
From:      Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Mark Raynsford <list+org.freebsd.virtualization@io7m.com>, freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve: Detecting that a guest kernel has booted

--dszkua3ez6tmcq3x

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:58:55AM -0700, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
> > On 2019-03-11T13:08:53 -0400
> > Shawn Webb <shawn.webb@hardenedbsd.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > If your guest OS supports it, you could probably write two scripts th=
at
> > > uses virtio_console(4), one for the guest to tell the host "HELLO" and
> > > one for the host to say "NICE TO SEE YOU!" once the guest's "HELLO" is
> > > received.
> > >=20
> >=20
> > They're a mix of FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Debian guests. So I'm guessing
> > one out of three of those supports it...
> >=20
> > I suppose my other option would be to add (another) NFS mount in each
> > guest, and have them touch a file early in the init script (and
> > possibly touch a different file early in the shutdown script).
>=20
> Well ICMP is in the kernel, and should be working as soon as the
> interface is up, long before you could do anything with NFS,
> so rather than the complexity above a simple ping would suffice.

Just a note: Windows systems disable inbound ICMP by default, but
inbound ICMP support can be enabled post-installation.

> There is also the phase of vmm(8) startup that when you are
> running bhyveload vs bhyve and iirc grubload vs bhyve, that
> can be detected.  vmbhyve does so and says you are in state
> looader when you do a vm list.

I would suggest using bhyve with UEFI. I wish a death upon bhyveload
and grub2-bhyve.

Thanks,

--=20
Shawn Webb
Cofounder and Security Engineer
HardenedBSD

Tor-ified Signal:    +1 443-546-8752
Tor+XMPP+OTR:        lattera@is.a.hacker.sx
GPG Key ID:          0x6A84658F52456EEE
GPG Key Fingerprint: 2ABA B6BD EF6A F486 BE89  3D9E 6A84 658F 5245 6EEE

--dszkua3ez6tmcq3x

--dszkua3ez6tmcq3x--