Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:42:04 -0600
From:      "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@mobile.gerp.org>
To:        Lyndon Griffin <lyndon@bsd4us.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compilation problems

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 03:30:54PM -0500, Lyndon Griffin wrote:

> This is where I seem to bomb out, as well.  Funny - it sounds like this
> is a very frequent problem, but the Cross-GCC faq says nothing about
> it.  I did try to "skip" the part of the configure script that does this,
> but I started running into many other issues, so I kinda dropped the ball.
> I'm kinda thinking that this is always going to fail at this point, and
> here's my logic:

	I noted the lack on the CrossGCC FAQ myself -- it seems very
newlib/embedded system centric.

> 1) we built a cross compiler to compile netbsd-sparc bins on freebsd-i86
> 2) the configure script tries to build (and execute?) a binary on i86
> using the f-i86 to n-sparc compiler
> 3) the sparc bin fails, as it can't run on an i86 (or something like that)

	I think I have this figured out -- just not a solution.  Im going
to post a request for info to the binutils list.  But this is not a problem
with gcc or its build process, it is ld.  Run the sparc-netbsd-ld command:

/usr/local/sparc-elf/bin/sparc-elf-ld:built in linker script:1: syntax error in
MRI style script

Furthur examination of config.log in gcc-build-dir/gcc/libiberty
the config.log file for the breakage point shows this error in it.

Starting from scratch and rebuilding cross-binutils standalone still shows
this error when executing.  I also tried using the -c option to use the
ldscripts/ directory versions and received the same error for all of them.

Fun, fun, fun.
-Kevin