Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:15:39 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - A User's Point of View

jonathan michaels wrote:

> yes, it is starting to look like that. now all i have to do is workout how to
> sell teh 'softupdates' concept to a died in teh wool novell journelling fs
> database manager whose hide has been saved more than once by journelling.
>
> ummm, not an easy task . but we will prevail .. grin.

If he understand what he is talking about, and if Novell DTRT, you
can't.

Softupdates will garantee metadata consistency, though our
implementation still depends on fsck to remove partial metadata
commits (these partial commits do *not* leave the fs in an
inconsistent state, mind you).

If the transaction interface is exported from Novell's jfs to the
application, though, it will garantee application data consistency
as well. In the specific case of databases, this is a MAJOR win.

If it is not exporting the transaction interface, though, or if the
application is not using it, one would be hard pressed to provide
any advantage of his jfs to our softupdates. I think. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	If you sell your soul to the Devil and all you get is an MCSE from
it, you haven't gotten market rate.