Date:      12 Jul 2000 13:23:14 -0700
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>, freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1 Release testing...

 * From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>

 * An ISO image on the 14th is also doable, but I didn't think the
 * packages would be available by then.  Was I wrong?

"Some" packages will always be available.  They are just not the ones
that go in the final release.

Jordan, I need to know the exact date you need the packages that go
into the release.  There is tremendous pressure to put in the "latest"
packages on the release -- everyone has his or her favorite port that
happened to be updated/fixed/security hole plugged just hours after
the ports freeze.  The number of people who send me mail pleading to
slip in just one more update has been increasing over the years due to
the number of ports exploding.

So, can you tell me when you need the final set of packages?  I'll
talk with Steve and decide the ports freeze date as late as possible
based on that.  As for earlier package sets that can be used for
testing, I'll be building 4-stable packages exclusively from now on,
so new ones will be showing up every 2 days or so.  (I can do those
faster if you can get me the new machines to replace the broken
ones...hint hint. :)  You need to talk to Steve about splitting them
up, though.

Satoshi