Date:      9 Nov 1995 07:25:42 -0700
From:      "Owen Newnan" <onewnan@denitqm.ecte.uswc.uswest.com>
To:        "questions about FreeBSD" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: modem lights

                      RE>>modem lights                             11/9/95

> "> 2.	Is there a program that can display the status of your modem
> > 	(the most essential ones are: OH - if the modem is off-hook (i.e.
> > 	dialed out) or not, RD - data being received, TR - data being
> > 	sent)?  I have a internal modem, and this would be a useful thing;
> > 	it's probably also useful for the laptop/PCMCIA crowd.
>
> I believe most modems can be set in verbose mode (tracing state transitions)
> using escape sequences; maybe that would help?

Never heard of any such thing on any modem.  Do you happen to have anything
like a reference, on *any* modem, as an example?

[Both my modems (Sound Modem and Express Fax Modem) support Hayes command set
variants returning "result codes," such as, "NO CARRIER", "NO DIAL TONE" or
"CONNECT 14400."  They can be configured to give additional result codes for
protocol, e.g., are we using LAPM or V.42bis.  This kind of stuff may be
helpful in debugging modem connectivity as might loopback testing.  However, I
don't see any documented way to figure out if data is being sent or received,
although maybe that's buried in bit mapped registers somewhere.]