Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 17:52:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPSD toggle wraparound and negative response

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Norman C Rice wrote:

> I am running the experimental upsd port on several FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE
> systems with APC Smart-UPS 1000s. Every 10 minutes /var/log/messages
> receives entries similar to
>
> Jan  3 11:17:38 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: toggle wraparound
> Jan  3 11:17:39 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: toggle wraparound
> Jan  3 11:17:39 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: negative response:    NO
> Jan  3 11:17:40 emu upsd[231]: apc_tune: toggle wraparound

Warning:  the default upsd is wired for use on 240 volt UPS units.  The
voltage-dependent values will *NOT* work for 120 volt units.  These lines
are probably causing your problem:

>     tune "high-transfer-point"          264
>     tune "low-transfer-point"           196
>     tune "nominal-voltage"              220

You will need my modified version of upsd that is set up with values for
120 volt operation.  That or remove these lines and use the built-in
defaults for the UPS (or toggle the rear switches to your taste).

> My experiments with removal of line power indicate that the shutdown
> process and line restoration work properly. For the time being, I
> have commented out these messages in apc.c.

The negative response may be coming from a command like so:

poll "last-test"

This checks the results of the last self-test of the UPS.  If you aren't
running self tests, it'll report NO until one is run either manually or
automatically as programmed into the UPS.  I thought the line was annoying
to and just didn't have upsd check that (or else I removed the printf :-))

Beginning Monday you can fetch this from:

ftp://gdi.uoregon.edu/pub/upsd-2.0.1.6.1.tgz

See the README for quick info and examples/upsd.conf.120v for starters.
If you want to get fancy with tuning the transfer points and such, you'll
have to fish the values out of apc_static.c.  I actually have a manpage in
there, but it isn't installed by default.

Hope this helps.