Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:31:56 -0600
From:      "Keith Bottner" <keith@barkinglizards.com>
To:        "'Alex Zbyslaw'" <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Detect hardware changes

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Zbyslaw [mailto:xfb52@dial.pipex.com]
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 4:55 AM
To: Keith Bottner
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Keith Bottner wrote:

>I have not compiled a kernel. This is a standard FreeBSD 5.4-Release
>installation. How can I check to see if the loadable module is installed?
>

> Have a look in /var/run/dmesg.boot and see if you have a line like
>
> sk0: unknown media type 0xff
>
> If so, plug your card into the network and try again.  Even if you don't
see such a line, try it if you haven't already.  If that doesn't work then
what does /var/run/dmesg.boot show for sk0 and skc0?

> I have an SMC card based which fails to attach without a cable -- not sure
if it needs to be plugged in to a > router or not.  The onboard chipset on a
different PC has no such failing.

>--Alex

Ok I find the lines that related to skc in the /var/run/dmesg.boot and they
are included below:

skc0: <Linksys EG1032 Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem
0xfbfffc00-0xfbfffcff irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci2
skc0: failed: rid 0x10 is ioport, requested 3
device_attach: skc0 attach returned 6

The second line says failed but I don't where it says anything regarding
why. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith