Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 10:10:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New ports scheme

> Ermm ... if we're going to muck with the ports directory structure anyway,
> maybe we might consider having more than one directory level?  like
> net/irc/bitchx, net/ftp/ncftp3, etc ... ?

Sounds good, except that many ports would be their entire "Application
Type" group. I like the idea though; add more sorting heuristics, based 3
layers deep:
	1) Language		(filter out unused languages at top)
	2) Base Group		(net, security, mail, etc.)
	3) Application Type	(ftp, wrappers, POP3, etc.)

This would also give us a more modular foreign language heirarchy. If we
had a local variable for pertinent languages (in /etc/make.conf, or
elsewhere; doesn't really matter), we could cut down useless files
dramatically.

I am very appreciative for all the work done on non-english ports, but I
think the average user wastes time, space, and bandwidth maintaining files
he or she can not even read. I do not think anyone uses applications from
more than 2 (_maybe_ 3) of the following groups: chinese, japanese,
korean, russian, german, english.

This organization would be good for a nice dynamic front-end.

Kevin