Date:      07 Nov 2000 11:12:17 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        will@physics.purdue.edu, wyldephyre2@yahoo.com (Haikal Saadh), advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CounterStrike

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> writes:
> It has been my experience that the FreeBSD drivers don't work
> for some shoot-em-up games.

Some games have bugs that have audible manifestations on FreeBSD but
not on Linux, probably because FreeBSD follows the spec instead of
emulating OSS or Linux bug for bug.

> > >                        When you suggest this to the sound driver
> > > people, they tend to get belligerant and talk about how their API
> > > is better than the Linux API.
> > Not true. Have you even talked to Cameron about this?
> I haven't.

In that case, I wonder what basis you have for claiming the he grows
belligerent when asked about OSS compatibility.

> Are you sure you don't have to run current for it to work with
> FreeBSD's native drivers?

Pretty sure, as the -STABLE drivers are (mostly) in synch with the
-CURRENT drivers.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org