Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 2009 16:25:28 +0200
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Subject:   What is /boot/kernel/*.symbols?

Hi, all,

When I upgraded some of our machines from 6.x to 7.2
I noticed that the root filesystems seemed to fill up.

I thought this might come from

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g

in the kernel config, but somehow that doesn't make sense,
since our older systems have the same option present.

6.3-System:
-----------
makeoptions     DEBUG=-g

$ du -sk /boot/kernel
27920	/boot/kernel

No *.symbols files in /boot/kernel.

7.2-System:
-----------
makeoptions     DEBUG=-g

$ du -sk /boot/kernel
214778	/boot/kernel

Lots of those files filling /boot/kernel.

On a current server with 512 MB /, the filesystem is at
97% after installing a new kernel twice. Can I get rid of
these files somehow or are they necessary, in which case
I will need way bigger root filesystems?

I mean, get rid automatically and never install them again.
I know the chflags and rm commands ;-) But then the question
of they are needed is still open.

Thanks,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100