Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:09:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netstat -m confusion

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Colin Campbell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just had one box reboot because it ran out of mbufs, so I thought I'd
> check another one and saw something quite confusing, namely:
>
> 826/4724/4608 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
>
> How can the peak be > max? (FreeBSD 3.2 off the WC CD set).

	I've seen this myself in really high-load situations. The only
answer I've ever come up with is that the value of "max" is slightly more
conservative than what is really available in the kernel, and/or that it's
rounded off to some factor of 8 which can be less than what's actually
there. Notice for instance that 4608/1024=4.5, whereas 4724 is an
"odd" number. I suspect that if you did the MAXUSERS multiplication that
your actual number of mbufs is 4608 < x < 5120, but I haven't looked at
the source to confirm my theory.

	According to the figures that DG quoted way back in the 2.2.x days
(by my recollection/experience anyways) the max should always be >= 1.5 x
peak, so the point to all of this is that you need lots more
NMBCLUSTERS. :)

Good luck,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"