Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:29:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is FreeBSD going?

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Mark Linimon wrote:

> > In short, you can put all the effort you want in, but -core
> > and many with a commit bit will resent you for it, because
> > you're just a user.
>
> What you may be interpreting as resentment may actually just
> be frustration at being once again in the middle of being
> told "things are broken" without concrete suggestions about
> how it can be fixed.  Please come up with some kind of
> definite proposal that you think would alleviate your, and
> others', concerns; and post it and let us discuss it.  Keep
> in mind that as you do so it's a volunteer project, and you
> have to address the interests of the current volunteers too.
> Perhaps you can suggest a way to bring more volunteers in
> without losing any of the existing ones.  I certainly don't
> have any answers to these kinds of questions; let me take
> a look at yours.

    You asked for suggestions/proposals for discussion so I came up with
    a few:

    1) Allow for paid development for a specific bug/feature

	 - Setup some program that allows users like myself to pay for a
	developers time to fix a specific bug.  The company I work for
	would easily pay serious dollars to fix our SMP problems with 4.X.
	Unfortunetly, getting someone's attention that has a great
	understanding of the OS is hard to find without rude remarks and
	what-not.

	You could even extend it as far as saying we will promote this PR
	to the top of the list of tasks if you pay us XX dollars.  Or
	maybe, the more you pay the higher you go.

	This would reassure the user base that things CAN get done if
	needed and also let the developer/bug fixer feel like they can
	make money and have some fun.  It will also bring in money for the
	project as part of that money could go back into the Project.

	You could easily setup a "pool" mailling list (like -requests)
	which someone like myself would email a request with the problem
	description (or PR).  If a developer is interested in tackling the
	problem for money, we could privately negotiate a price.

	The same can be done for driver development and others.  Make it a
	"Donation for a specific request".  I don't want to give money to
	some Foundation where money can be thrown around in the wrong
	areas.  I want to pay the developer personally for their efforts.
	( I feel the same should be done with our taxes as well ;-)

    2) Setup a mailling list for just new developer questions.

	- A mailling list where someone can ask a stupid programming
	question without being ridiculed would be nice.  Some of us know
	how to code but are intimidated to ask as most times some
	a$$hole always responds with some crack.  This happens often on
	-questions and puts a bad taste in my mouth.

	Of course, this would assume that only some very tolerant -hackers
	would want to subscribe to and help answering questions.  This
	would/could bring in more development.

    3) Simple but time consuming requests from developers

	- Isn't it possible to have developers pass off some of
	their simple tasks to others?  Think of it like a "pet dog".
	Your dog may be able fetch your newspaper but he couldn't read it.
	Still fetching the newspaper takes time!

	The requests I see are usually Jr. kernel type requests.
	Everyone wants to contribute at the kernel level but that takes
	a lot of knowhow and experience working with fbsd's kernel.  Let
	users get involved with simple (stupid) tasks which are time
	consuming.  Now define "simple"...

    4) More FreeBSD (Con) promotion

	- I see little news about FreeBSD anymore.  Not sure what to do
	here.  I can tell you that people need to be told what to do.  If
	someone needs some help with promoting FreeBSD, the've gotta ask.

	- Where the hell is the FreeBSDCon website?  Keep the current
	development talks at FreeBSDCon but add more user/admin type
	talks (not sure what it was last year cause I can't find the
	website).  Promote it better...don't have the money?  read #5

    5) Other contributions

	- There have got to be things not related to development that can
	help the FreeBSD project out.  A large user base that wants to
	contribute but can't code worth a hoot can contribute in other
	ways, e.g. FreeBSD Con promotion-flyers,website logos, news
	articles.  I could go on for hours about trivial things I'm sure
	people would contribute.

    Just a couple of thoughts for bringing in new volunteers and keep the
    old ones happy.

--
Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
-