Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:00:19 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
Cc:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS filesystems being corrupted?

On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:
>
> > > Recently (past few months, unable to be more specific, sorry) I've noticed my
> > > msdos partitions being declared "damaged" by Nortun Utilities under win95
> > > after I've been writing to them under freebsd (specifically, disk doctor will
> > > find lost clusters and "repair" them by removing the file.) All I usually need
> > > to do is create a few (large? The last one which got reaped was about 40MB)
> > > files on the DOS partition - I don't notice any problems accessing them under
> > > bsd.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
> > >
> > I have seen this behavior, but only on floppies, that's wierd about your
> > norton, Scandisk doesn't give me any problems on my msdos partition, but I
> > don't put large files there. I mostly just read from that disk.
>
> After a recent botch with partition magic I was able to recover 1.5MB of
> files, reformat the partition and replace them.  Other than some serious
> fragmentation as far as I know nothing was lost, actually I think the
> performance improved :)
>
> I believe this was after a Dec22 build.
>
> Could it be something in NU.

I forgot to reply to this when I investigated further; I copied another large
file onto my msdos partition, and after rebooting into win95 Norton Utilities
complained about having found a damaged partition. Cancelling the dialog box
and running M$ ScanDisk revealed no errors - therefore something is being done
by the MSDOS filesystem code which ScanDisk is happy with, but NU is not.

Should I open a PR on this?

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.