Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:23:36 -0500
From:      nm <nmanisca@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   X the right way?

What is the right way to install XFree86?
I have an AS200 with a fresh install of FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE.

I have a Matrox Millenium PCI card.  My goal is to have a
stable 24-bit color display.

Should I build XFree86-4 from ports?  I tried this but ended
up with a compile error I think... (I just used the default
build options).

I also built XFree86 (v4) from the source and it built fine.
I ran xf86config as usual.  When I run startx the screen
never switches to video.  I didn't append the log here because
I am not sure even if I should be trying to run v4 or not.

How should I go about getting XFree86 (v4) to build?
Should I go back to 3.3.6?

Nick Maniscalco