Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 02:10:24 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible change to first page on site

Sue Blake wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 03, 1999 at 11:31:27PM -0500, Malartre wrote:
> > Sue Blake wrote:

> > > Getting FreeBSD sounds safer to me.
> > >
> > > First timers won't follow the link about installing. They think
> > > download-then-install so it seems obvious to them that they have to
> > > "get" it first, or at least check out where it is and how big the
> > > freebsd.zip file is :-) Remove "get" and expect more of them to write
> > > to -questions asking how to get it. Leave "Getting FreeBSD" there, and
> > > we can trick some of them into actually going to the installation
> > > instructions.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >         -*Sue*-
> > Ok Sue, I'll follow that way: I have a demo of what it could be to
> > really answer "damn, where do they hide freebsd.zip!".
> > http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/var/
> > http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/var/newbies/whatis.html
> > http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/var/newbies/nozip.html
> > The two first link in the FreeBSD! section are made by me, and are not
> > perfect, but has I said, this is just a demo :-)
>
> You have some good ideas there. I particularly like the "Quick Answers"
> in whatis.html, but I fear that while they will make good sense to
> microsoft refugees they will cause seasoned FreeBSD users to cringe :-)
> I'd love to see something short, direct and windows-understandable
> like this, close to the web site's entry point.
>
> My other approach was to give the misunderstanding strays something
> more readable that will keep everyone out of each other's hair long
> enough to get a few things into perspective. Draft:
> http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/win.html
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>         -*Sue*-
I try to keep it short. It is clearly not for those True FreeBSD Guru.
I liked win.html, it should also be has a complementary description of
why FreeBSD make you feel good :-)
This is a reserved space for new users, and old guru should understand
why it is like that. And I'm sure Linux users(who try FreeBSD) would be
happy to see such a level of documentation.
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.lowrent.org/freebsd/malartre/]
[LowRent.Org is down...]