Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:05:48 +0200
From:      "freethread" <freethread.sw@gmail.com>
To:        <fjoe@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: mc-4.8.1.1

hi, I'm facing an issue with last mc version. After upgrading ports =
(from source with portmaster) the syntax highlight in mcedit no more =
works, well, it works, but...

Explanation

I made some customization in mc for fileext, syntax highlight and menus, =
some of them are documentend, some others are partially documented and =
some others are undocumented. The syntax highlight customization is =
partially documented, however that's what I've done on my system:

The syntax highlight are composed by files with .syntax extention and a =
main 'Syntax' file that recognize file type (extentions + content) and =
redirect to the right .syntax file.
  1.. I created a new directory where I copied that files (located in =
/usr/local/share/mc/syntax) in that new directory.
  2.. In each home directory there is an '.mc' directory where mc place =
per user configuration files, so I found that copying the above files in =
$HOME/.mc/cedit directory you can customize the syntax highlight =
recognition and coloration, so what I've done (for each user) is to =
create symlinks to that files in 'cedit' directory, pointing at files =
copied in step 1. So, each user has the same customized syntax =
highlight.
Now, it worked for years, but when updated mc to version 4.8.1.1, it =
show me a syntax error in Syntax file at line 41, that contain the =
following customization:
40  file .\*(csh|\\.(csh|cshrc|tcsh|tcshrc|login|logout))$ =
tcsh/csh\sScript ^#!\s\*/(.\*/|usr/bin/env\s)(tc|c)sh41  include =
csh.syntaxOk, I restored the original 'Syntax' file to replace the =
customized one, but it seems it has no effect, it display the same error =
and in the editor menu 'Options -> Syntax Highlight...' it still display =
my customized additions (in the previous example 'tcsh/csh Script'), and =
it uses its own .syntax files in /usr/local/share/mc/syntax for all file =
types.

I don't know if mc has a cache and where it is, in /tmp there is nothing =
to help. This is not a FreeBSD issue instead something changed in mc =
syntax highlight policy, anyhow, perhaps you know or heard about some =
changes, I use mcedit for small shell files, small perl and python =
scripts on FreeBSD server but the most of the time I works on Windows =
desktops (and access it with remote terminals), so I can revert mc to =
works as default and edit them in Windows.

FYI: I made many other customizations to mc but I don't know if they =
interfere with this issue, all of them have more than 2 years and always =
worked and they are the same from at least 1 year, anyway my system was =
installed from 'disk 1' in september 2010, fresh FreeBSD 9.0-BETA1 =
installation (it was an 8.2-RELEASE but I made a fresh install to test =
bsdinstall and have SU+J on UFS), upgraded to 9.0-RELEASE in january or =
frebuary with freebsd-update (binary), all ports are uptodate.
  FreeBSD alpha.xxxxxxx.xxx 9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #1: Fri Jan =
20 07:29:38 CET 2012
  root@alpha.xxxxxxx.xxx:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ALPHA  i386
Thanks in advance for your advices (if you have any)
paul