Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:30:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.2 and 3com

I have an odd one going on.  In the last couple of weeks we installed 3.2
(from the CDs) on 7 machines.  5 were new pIII-450's ASUS MB with 3C905
PCI network cards, two are older Pentium 150's with 3C509B's - ISA,  all
with 128MB ram.  All power management stuff is turned off in BIOS.  These
machines, if left alone with no traffic, will seem to drop off the network.
No ping, no telnet, no ssh.  If you walk up to the console you can log in
and ping anywhere you want and suddenly you can get in from outside again.
It's like it was woke up.  It also wakes up if a cronjob sends mail.  Right
now I have open pings running to a couple of the machines to keep them
awake.  The only things these machines seem to have in common are: 10base-t,
FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, 128MB Ram and a Cisco Catalyst 1900 switch.

Anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2