Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:36:32 +0300
From:      Mikolaj Golub <trociny@freebsd.org>
To:        Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: way for failover zpool (no HAST needed)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:17:01 +0200 Denny Schierz wrote:

 DS> hi,

 DS> my two nodes are running fine with 8.2-stable and the LSI 9200-8e and
 DS> now, I want to build a failover for the Zpool (and later ISCSI target)

 DS> Both nodes are connected to the same disks (jbod) and now I need a way,
 DS> to get the zpool(s) running on the node with the CARP public IP.

You don't need HAST but might you want to try net-mgmt/hastmon? :-)

I wrote it because didn't like much failovering with CARP.

For hastmon you need at least 3 hosts: 2 cluster nodes (primary/secondary) and
watchdog. Watchdog is polling the states of the cluster nodes. Secondary
decides to failover when:

1) There is no connection with primary.

2) There are complaints from watchdog.

The configuration is simple and would look like below (on all 3 hosts):

resource iscsi {
        exec /etc/iscsi.sh

        on hostA {
                remote hostB
                priority 0
        }
        on hostB {
                remote hostA
                priority 1
        }
        on hostW {
                remote hostA hostB
        }
}

/etc/iscsi.sh script should support at least 3 arguments:

start -- switch node to primary (iscsi up, IP up, etc);
stop  -- switch node to secondary;
status -- return current status (0 - UP, 1 - DOWN, 2 - UNKNOWN).

You can find more information in README:

http://code.google.com/p/hastmon/wiki/README

--
Mikolaj Golub