Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 07:39:49 -0700
From:      pascal@netcom.com (Richard A Childers)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, skoch@ais.net
Subject:   Re: can't mount root after install ( was 'help' )

Steven Koch <skoch@ais.net> describes :

"After I run fdisk and disklabel and the machine attempts to boot off the
 hard drive it tells me it can't mount root.  After that it just keeps
 rebooting itself."

I ran into this when I was installing the OS on a SCSI disk #1, where I
had a Western Digital controller and a WD #0 already installed, running
MS-DOS.

Not sure where the conflict came from but in retrospect I think it was the
/etc/fstab, which probably had entries for "sd0" instead of "sd1".

( This problem is discussed in the FAQs somewhere proximate to references
  to the necessity of having to use the boot string hd(1,a)/kernel, under
  certain circumstances. Note that this may not be the same problem you're
  having. )

controller in question ( people often leave out these seemingly irrelevant
details, understandably, so I'm extrapolating, a little, here ). But, if you
can get the system into single-user with a boot diskette, try using fsck on
'a' partitions ( wd0a, wd1a ), mounting them on a /mnt directory, and taking
a look at what's been installed in your /etc/fstab ( /mnt/etc/fstab ).

It's possible that judiciously editing this might be sufficient to fix your
installation and make it usable.

( And, is 'ed' on the fixit diskette ? I think not. dump(8) and tar(1) would
  also be useful ... )

Almost certainly, the message you are seeing is caused by the kernel trying
to mount a device that does not exist on your bus ( FreeBSD installation is
lacking robustness where installing in anything but a vanilla system is con-
-cerned ; this is fairly common in the industry, however, and not unique to
FreeBSD in any way, shape or form. )

-- richard

        Truth : the most deadly weapon known to civilization. Possession
        forbidden by employers, governments, and authorities, across the
        known universe. Violation of this regulation punishable by death.

   richard childers                                         pascal@netcom.com