Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:13:38 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot stuck at F1 after swapping drives

--==_Exmh_828548916P

> yeah, i have BIOS in AUTO, I was able to boot to the harddrive with a
> cdrom by using 0:da(0,a)/kernel, but the harddrive's boot0 booter
> couldn't boot it on its own.
>
> Since I can boot to it, the BIOS should have correct setting for the
> drive right?

IME, it's entirely possible for FreeBSD to have a bogus idea of the
geometry which prevents booting from the drive (the last 5-6 large
drives I've set up on machines with old BIOS'es have done this if I
don't create an M$DOS partition from M$ FDISK first - you can even
delete it in 'sysinstall', it just forces the correct geometry when the
disk is read in 'sysinstall', IIUC), but you can load the boot stuff
just fine from (e.g.) CD-ROM and then boot the kernel off the drive...

I presume that this is because the BIOS can boot the CD, and the
CD-loaded boot stuff has the same bogus idea of the geometry, and can
then load the kernel

However, if you have /ever/ booted FreeBSD directly from this HDD, then
this probably isn't what happened (the geometry shouldn't change, and it
was valid once).

For some reason, some part of the boot stuff got lunched, and you
probably just need to re-write it. My firewall box did this once after a
power-cycle, I have no idea why.

I don't recall what I did to get around this now, it was either

	disklabel -B da0s1 auto

or
	boot0cfg -d 0x80

or something like that... 'man boot' would be a good place to start. :-)

Disclaimer: it's your disk, not mine. Take appropriate precautions,
including treating the above advice with some caution (I think I was on
4.4-STABLE when I did the above, but it *was* some time ago)...

In particular, if I were in your position, I think I'd be inclined to
wait and see if someone chimes in with a response of
"NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" to the above advice :->

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_828548916P

--==_Exmh_828548916P--