Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 17:27:41 PDT
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        "Craig Shaver" <craig@progroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions? NT VS UNIX, NT SUCKS SOMETIMES

In message <199607192240.PAA06649@seabass.progroup.com>,   you write:

>> ><soapbox>
>> >I'm still trying to understand why people think they have to run NT.
>> >There are other options, like FreeBSD and OS/2.  A lot cheaper and not
>> >made by Microsoft.
>> ></soapbox>
>>
>> Because NT is a very solid server OS.  It is tightly integrated with
>> the most popular application server software, Microsoft BackOffice.
>> It is *the* most stable OS I have run.  It scales well across multiple
>> CPUs, and has a very solid multi-processor and multi-threaded kernel.
>> NT 4.0 will have not only dynamically scheduled threads, but user-
>blah, blah, blah, on and on .... del ......

I've had very negative experiences with OS/2.

I've installed it multiple times (I got OS/2 warp/ warp connect and NE2000 boards).

I've installed it several times in the last year on different machines
configured differently...I don't do any serous work on them, OS/2 warp eventually
came up with a useless message "file system corrupt--please call <some number>
for support...right, sure, like, someone will come to my house and fix my machine?
pretty useless...

NT is fine in many regards...but I just have an NT 3.51 installation go south,
and the "repair" mode can't seem to find my CD-ROM...

I also was writing some netbios/lanserver emulation code on another machine
(a sun) running TCP/IP.  I obviously had a bug in my program (; -)) and it
seems I bought NT (3.51) to its knees with my bug (a panic).
Any OS where a buggy remote application can crash the machine is suspect
(yes, it can happen, but it points to architectural problems).

I found win95 pretty reasonable in many ways (I use it somewhat, mainly to
run win32 applications...and I need to network with it...)  In many cases
installation was pretty plug and chug and it seems much more reliable than
windows 3.1...

Just MHO.

I really get miffed hearing people laud the robustness of NT and OS/2...I found
both pale to current copies of linux and FreeBSD.

thank you,

marty