Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:58:28 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange crash, possibly vinum-related

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:15:32PM +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if anyone out there can shed any light on this:
>
> A drive failed on one of our Vinum-powered RAID-5 arrays over the weekend.
> This morning, we swapped out the offending drive (hot-swappable SCSI
> hardware), disklabel-ed it and restarted the offending subdisk.  Everything
> seemed fine at this point, with vinum happily reviving the stale subdisk.
>
> However, twenty minutes later, with the revive 29% complete, I got this in
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Mar 10 11:39:50 kokako vinum[12708]: can't revive raid.p0.s0: Invalid argument
>
> 'vinum list' was also showing an error message, which I foolishly didn't
> capture, something along the lines of 'the revive process died'.  Lacking
> any better ideas, I started the subdisk again.  The revival seemed to pick
> up where it left off.
>
> Half an hour later, the box rebooted :-(  I wasn't actually watching it at
> the time, so I don't know if it finished reviving the subdisk or not.
> There's no indication in the logs as to what happened, but the timing of
> the reboot is consistent with it happening around the time the subdisk
> would have come back to life.
>
> Once the box came back up, I restarted the subdisk yet again (I had to
> create the drive again first), with the RAID volume unmounted.  This time
> the process finished without complaints and things seem to be working as
> well as ever since then.
[logs, etc. snipped...]

No takers?  Maybe someone who's done this (replacing a failed Vinum drive
on hot-swap SCSI hardware) before can at least tell me whether:

	- I should have done some camcontrol magic before rebuilding the drive?
	- Rebuilding the drive without unmounting the volume first was just
	  asking for trouble?
	- -hackers or even -stable is a better venue for this kind of problem?

Many thanks in advance,

	Scott