Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 1997 01:31:32 -0600
From:      Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation woes

Kory Hamzeh wrote:
Hi,
<snip>
> of problems I'm having:
>
> 1. The motherboard is a AMI Merlin DP Pentium PRO 200MHZ. Only on CPU
> installed. I have installed 128 meg of ram, but freebsd only seems to see
> the first 64 meg of ram.

You need to build a kernel with

options     "MAXMEM=131072"

in it.  Read the GENERIC and LINT config files for descriptions of other
options as well.  They're in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.

> 2. When adding packages using sysinstall, it (sysinstall) complains that
> it can not find a lot of the packages (including Xfree86!). I made a boot
> floppy and boot off of the floppy and installed of the SCSI CD-ROM.

I think I ran into the package problem when I was messing with 2.1.5.
XFree is NOT a package.  Provided you don't have any hardware problems,
you should be able to select an X installation from your Distributions
Choices Screen.  X-user, X-developer, or All ( or a custom installation
) should get it.  It seemed to me that sysinstall shows packages that
aren't on the disk ( I could be wrong tho')

> 3. After installing several packages, sysinstall start complaining that
> there was some error and to check to other VTTY. In doing so, I see a lot
> of "proc: system full" (or somthing similar to that, I'm not near the
> machine right now).

How did you set up your disk?  When I set up my systems I don't create a
/var partition.  I create /var as /usr/var and symlink it after initial
installation.  If it's done this way, /var is in / until it's moved.
What I'm getting at is / can fill up fast.  What I generally do on fresh
systems is select a Novice installation, and install the basic
distributions. (ie: X-usr, X-Developer, etc) I forego ALL package
installation until after I get the basic system running, and then use
pkg_add or pkg_manage.  For existing installations I NEVER use
sysinstall.

Hope this helps a little

Randy