Date:      24 Mar 2003 00:15:00 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Uninstalled all X stuff, still no mozilla

--=-DWBupaWpH9lHQ7ljQwNn

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 00:04, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> How come it is so impossible to make mozilla work with Xft?
>=20
> I uninstalled everything that involves X on my home machine,
> running 4.8-RC, deleted what was left in /usr/X11R6 and remaining
> graphical stuff in /usr/local. Recompiled from scratch. But still
> mozilla dies after having worked on disk for almost a minute,
> leaving only one line saying "killed".
>=20
> In /var/log/messages there is a message saying:
> Mar 24 05:53:39 <kern.crit> enigma /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
> Mar 24 05:53:41 <kern.crit> enigma /kernel: swap_pager_getswapspace: fail=
ed
> Mar 24 05:53:41 <kern.err> enigma /kernel: pid 67777 (mozilla-bin), uid 1=
001, was killed: out of swap space
>=20
> but no other applications are running except for Windowmaker and
> swapinfo gives:
>=20
> [gunnar@enigma gunnar]$ swapinfo
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> /dev/rad0s2b       130944    31020    99924    24%    Interleaved
>=20
> Anyone having some kind of explanation? Graphic card is
> Matrox G200, so there's nothing new and exclusvive there.
>=20
> What more info do you need to draw any conclusions?

Go through this, and see if it helps.

Q. When I launch Mozilla, all I see is, " No running window found." and
nothing ever happens.  How do I fix this?

A. This problem is usually indicative of a font issue.  As of 1.2a,
Mozilla is built with Xft2 support by default.  This support allows
Mozilla to render anti-aliased fonts.  However, Xft2 can be problematic
if your font setup is not correct.  Here are some things you can try to
remedy the problem.

1. Decide if you really want anti-aliased fonts in Mozilla.  If not, you
can simply rebuild Mozilla after adding WITHOUT_XFT to /etc/make.conf.=20
This will return Mozilla to the look and feel of 1.1 and earlier.
2. Make sure all your font files under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts have
0444 permissions.  That is, make sure the font files are readable by all
users.
3. Make sure you have the following in the Module section of your
XF86Config file:

Load  "type1"
Load  "freetype"

(Note, some have reported you actually _don't_ want type1.  I have it
loaded, and it has always worked fine for me.  Consider trying things
with and without the type1 module.)

4. Make sure you don't have the mozilla-fonts port or package
installed.  If you do, delete it, then run fc-cache -v -f as root.
5. Make sure ${PREFIX}/etc/fonts/fonts.conf exists (where ${PREFIX} is
the prefix where Mozilla is inatalled).
6. Try running fc-cache -f -v as root to force a rebuild of the Xft
fontconfig caches.
7. Try removing or renaming ~/.mozilla.
8. Try rebuilding print/freetype2, x11-fonts/fontconfig, and
x11-fonts/Xft.
9. Remove or rename ~/.fonts.conf if it exists.
10. If you are using XFree86 from CVS (i.e. 4.2.99.x), manually install
print/freetype2, x11-fonts/fontconfig, and x11-fonts/Xft from ports.
11. Make sure you're not building Mozilla with non-default CFLAGS or CPU
optimizations.  Make sure CFLAGS is set to -O -pipe, and try commenting
out CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf (if such an entry exists).

If none of this works, add the following to /etc/make.conf:

CFLAGS=3D "-O -g -pipe"
STRIP=3D

Then edit Mozilla's Makefile and remove the line that says
"--enable-strip".  Then rebuild fontconfig, Xft, and Mozilla.  Then,
launch Mozilla using the command mozilla -g.  At the (gdb) prompt, type
run.  When Mozilla crashes, type bt, and send the resulting backtrace
along with the output of fc-cache -v -f and fc-list -v to
freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org.

Joe

--=20

--=-DWBupaWpH9lHQ7ljQwNn