Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2017 02:39:12 -0700
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
Subject:   UFS snapshot "file" is slightly bigger than underlying disk partition

Hi Kirk,

I've noticed that the snapshot file is slightly bigger than underlying disk
partition. First I thought it's some kind of header attached to the end,
but the size of difference is actually dependent on the disk size. Is it by
design, or some sort of "off by x" error? What's annoying about that is
that the size is not multiple of SECTOR_SIZE. Also looks like if I just cut
that junk out resulting FS image is just as usable.

Attached script illustrates that. The first column is size of the
partition, the second column is the size of the difference, both in bytes.

1048576 48
2097152 56
4194304 72
8388608 72