Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:19:28 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CFR: Volume labels in FFS

Peter Wemm wrote:
> > 8-).
> >
> > It's string that doesn't need to be there; if the OS doesn't care
> > about its contents, why should you?  8-) 8-).
>
> I've found it useful when recovering trashed partition info to make sure
> I've found the right superblocks.

I've personally used it this way as well.

On the other hand, it just saves a step, and isn't necessary, if
that's what you are trying to do, since you can find the same
information by mounting the thing up read-only (FWIW).

My own personal use is actually to get rid of fstab on an old
FreeBSD 2.2 machine, which does auto-mounting on device
arrival.  But as people pointed out, this doesn't work so well
in the case that you have multiple OS's on locally attached disks,
and it doesn't work so well for SANdisk type disks.

-- Terry