Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2010 01:18:33 +1030
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        Juergen Lock <vbox-devel-l@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, vbox-dev@virtualbox.org
Subject:   Re: vbox (and qemu) tap/vboxnetflt networking; bridging vs wifi

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 19:58 +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:

>  The only downside of doing it this way is the tap interface loses
> its IP when vbox closes it and the ifup/down script feature has been
> removed from vbox so you need to rerun the `ifconfig tap0 ...' each
> time before you start the guest again.  (Maybe that can be avoided
> if you set net.link.tap.up_on_open=1, put only the tap interface on
> an if_bridge and give that bridge interface the IP instead, I haven't
> tried.)

FYI, I just tried this and it appears to work. That is, with the
following:

        ==> /boot/loader.conf <==
        if_tap_load="YES"
        vboxdrv_load="YES"

        ==> /etc/sysctl.conf <==
        net.link.tap.user_open=1
        net.link.tap.up_on_open=1
        net.link.ether.inet.proxyall=1

        ==> /etc/rc.conf <==
        cloned_interfaces="bridge0 tap0 tap1"
        ifconfig_bridge0="addm tap0 addm tap1 192.168.1.121/29"
        gateway_enable="YES"

and with the VM network adapters configured as bridged to the tapX
devices, the guest em0 interfaces configured with IP addresses in the
bridge0's subnet and with default routes to the bridge0 ip, networking
seems to come up fine in the guests. (I'm still starting the VMs
manually so it hasn't been verified in fully autonomous startup.)

Wayne