Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 1995 14:16:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, bde@zeta.org.au, me@tartufo.pcs.dec.com, nate@trout.sri.mt.net, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Make World Times and a question about shared libs / make all

> > > No, that would actually be more (he ducks) ORTHOGONAL! :-)
> > >
> > > Seriously.  Then you at least have a tree of links or a tree of copies
> > > but never a mix (you may recall me raving on this particular topic
> > > awhile back) and it's at least a whole lot easier to _understand_.
> > >
> > > Yes!  Please!
> > >
> > > 						Jordan
> > >

> > How would that work for folks who don't want to keep an entire source tree
> > available?  I have the room, myself, but lots of friends running FreeBSD
> > are doing it in 200-300 meg partitions.  Would this hurt them?
>
> Folks without the entire source tree on line should probably not be
> attempting to run ``make includes''.  It would fail now if any of
> the directories need by this are missing.  [I am working on
> the later for the SHARED=copies case].
>
> If they want to run with limit src tree they well need to be careful
> about CLOBBER and /usr/include.  With the new .mk and Makefile mods
> in place the correct command for a partial src tree would become:
> cd /usr/src;
> make INCLUDE_TYPES=copies includes
>
> Note that INCLUDE_TYPES is my new name for ``SHARED'', since this is
> become overloaded.  The default INCLUDE_TYPES will be copies, so
> in the above command you could leave this out.
>
> My new includes: target is a lot smarter than the current one, it
> uses a list of places to cd into and run ``make install_includes''.
> For each directory in this list we first check to see if that
> place exists in the src tree, if it does not a little skip message
> is printed and things continue on there way.  I could add some
> better error checking for the CLOBBER case and make this an error
> condition instead of just a warning.
>
> Right now I use a compatibility hack in the .mk files that calls
> beforeinstall: for install_includes: so that I don't have to
> modify a pile of Makefiles at this time.
>
> If 2.1 is pushed out past the end of April I should have time to
> finish this work off and intergrate a massive .mk overhall, if
> not it can wait for 2.2.

I think it would be a fine option but a poor default.  There are those of
us who have backed up our system source to play with other sources.
Also, unlikely as this is, a compile could break while running sup.  For
those who have multiple users, coordination could be a problem.

I would be happier if the include file installed only if it changed.  Then
when my sources get torqued, I have the real thing.  I don't always make it
through a sup and then where am I. Oh, and what about version upgrades!
And it has snowed in Texas!  I mean the central part!....

Sorry :-)

Boyd

 Boyd Faulkner                                  faulkner@isd.tandem.com