Date:      Mon, 26 May 2014 23:04:17 +0200
From:      Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot activate WiFi on Thinkpad X201

On 05/26/14 16:41, Martin Cracauer wrote:
> The wifi chip in this x201 always says the switch is off, but the
> hardwae switch and the BIOS setting are .
>

> iwn0: <Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200> mem 0xf2400000-0xf2401fff irq
> 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
> iwn0: radio is disabled by hardware switch
>
> [...]
> iwn0@pci0:2:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x13118086 chip=0x42398086
> rev=0x35 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = 'Centrino Advanced-N 6200'
>     class      = network
> [...]
>
> sysctl:
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1 [readonly]
> [...]
> if_iwn_load="YES"
> acpi_video_load="YES"
> legal.intel_iwn.license_ack=1
> if_wpi_load="YES"
> if_iwn_load="YES"
> if_iwnfw_load="YES"
> wlan_wep_load="YES"
> wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
> wlan_tkip_load="YES"
> iwn4965fw_load=YES
> iwn1000fw_load=YES
> iwn5000fw_load=YES
> iwn5150fw_load=YES
> iwn6000fw_load=YES
> iwn6000g2afw_load=YES
> iwn6000g2bfw_load=YES
> iwn6050fw_load=YES
>

> The hardware lights up the WiFi LED during post but then turns the LED
> off when entering BIOS or bootloader. The hardware switch is on and it
> makes no difference if I work it. The BIOS setting for WiFi is
> on. Using Fn-F5 has no effect either way, however I noticed that the
> Fn switch alone will make the console login cycle, as if return had
> been pressed.
>
> The thing also refuses to boot from USB on first try after OS reboot
> or poweron and will do so after a control-alt-del on the boot error
> message.
>
> This is 10-RELEASE 64 bits.
>
> Am I screwed? Is there hope that I can simulate the Fn-F5 sequence
> from inside via ACPI? Are these Thinkpads still locking in their wifi
> card so that you need a BIOS patch to enable something else?
>
> I also failed to get an Atheros USB stick when I tried, does anybody
> have a recommendation for a known-Atheros USB stick?

Hi,

>From my x201i

sysctl -a|grep ibm
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=IBM0068 _UID=0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 134217727
dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 1