Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:26:55 -0500
From:      Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   TI-1420 PCMCIA Chipset Problems

I've got a Toshiba Satellite 3005-s304 laptop which I had everything
(but APM/ACPI) working under 4.8-STABLE.  I've since tried upgrading it
to 5.1-STABLE and am befuddled by some problems I'm having with the
PCMCIA subsystem.

Using a kernel with cbb instead of pcic, upon insert of a PCMCIA card
(any card), the machine locks.  Not hard locks, but an odd lock where
keyboard is thoroughly unresponsive in any terminal.  However, I can
switch VTY's using the alt-[f1-f8] sequence no problem.  Using a kernel
with pcic, /dev/card0 doesn't show up, so I can't get 5.1 working the
way 4.x did.

I recompiled the kernel with DEBUG and broke to the debugger after the
crash.  It looks like cbb1 was spinning.  Also, upon the insertion of a
PC card, the CPU Fan comes on, so the processor is doing some serious
work with it in.  Traces in the debugger only show keyboard input that
I've tried to do.

Tried running devd with the -Dd flags to see if it would give any debug
info, but devd doesn't spit anything out at all.

Any ideas so I can once again have a FreeBSD functional laptop?

Thanks..

--
Marius Strom           | Always carry a short length of fibre-optic cable.