Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 19:01:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

> > UDI is a reasonably nice framework.  Someone with some time on their
> > hands might want to try implementing it for FreeBSD.  Last time I read
> > the drafts, there were still significant omissions, particularly
> > addressing the way that a UDI driver might integrate with the system
>
> All the more reason for someone with some time to get involved now rather
> than later and finding out that there are significant architecture drawbacks
> which could possibily make UDI unfeasible for FreeBSD.
>
> Someone could probably make a case for FreeBSD given that Yahoo , Oracle,
> and a few other large companies are using FreeBSD and making money where
> as in the Linux  camp thats probably a rarity .

I've applied the pressure I've been able to, given the time.  It may be
too late, but if you want to campaign on the issue, the person at Intel
to talk to is "Saxena, Sunil" <sunil.saxena@intel.com>.  You might want
to include Mark Bradley <markb@btc.adaptec.com> and Kurt Gollhart
<kdg@sco.com> in your discussions.  Note that these last two are "big
cheese" technical people (Kurt is SCO Core OS Architect), so you want to
be concise and avoid bullshitting them.

Note that most of the guts of a UDI interface to an operating system is
system specific; you're providing the mapping between the UDI API and
the host API.  In some cases, the mapping will be complex (eg. the UDI
SCSI driver backend to CAM), in others it will be trivial.