Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:44:26 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        jaymax <jaymax36@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible mysql.sock problem | ERROR 2002 (HY000)

--------------enig872BCB13C8A2DC06DBDB185A

jaymax wrote:

> Direct start from script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start fails a=
lso
>=20
> And running /usr/local/bin/mysql =3D=3D>
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/usr/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
>=20

There's a $mysql_socket rc.conf variable you need to set as well.

> Settings in rc.conf
> 	mysql_enable=3D"YES"
> 	mysql_limits=3D"YES"
> 	mysql_dbdir=3D"/disk02/db/mysql/DATA"
> 	mysql_args=3D""
        mysql_socket=3D"/usr/tmp/mysql.sock"

(Although if /usr/tmp is set to mode 1777, what's the benefit of using th=
at
location rather than the default /tmp/mysql.sock ?)
=20
> In my.cnf file
> 	[client]=20
> 	socket=3D/usr/tmp/mysql.sock
> 	[mysqld]=20
> 	socket=3D/usr/tmp/mysql.sock

Is this the only my.cnf file on the system?  There are several places
where MySQL will pick up a my.cnf file: directly from the mysql_dbdir
or /usr/local/etc/my.cnf [The rc.d/mysql-server script automatically
adds ${mysql_dbdir}/my.cnf to the list of locations]

Judging by the complaints about 'update log no longer supported' I'm
guessing that there is somewhere a my.cnf or a .my.cnf file filled with
configuration settings appropriate to a much earlier version of MySQL.
A good strategy is to grab one of the sample .cnf files from
/usr/local/share/mysql (according to the capabilities of your server)
copy that into ${mysql_dbdir}/my.cnf and edit to make any local=20
customizations.

	Cheers,

	Matthew=20

--=20