Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 12:39:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alt/Meta-Key problems/ pty problem?

I noticed that the Alt-(Meta) Key for emacs doesn't work with
FreeBSD. This happens since at least 2.0.5 and still is a problem on
0801-Snap. This works with NetBSD.

The problem occures on all non-native-X11 emacs instances, with
rlogin, telnet, on the system console etc.

I assume the problem is with FreeBSD's pty implementation, but don't
really know how to start beating at the problem.

I understand the Alt/Meta key is handled different from Shift and
Control in that Shift and Control are standard modifier keys, while
Alt/Meta is set up in an application-spefic manner, right?

If so, would you provide some hints where to get information on how
things should work? How do one use the Meta key in an application? How
is the key status transported trough the tty? How is responsible for
managing the status of the new modifier key: the pty, the keyboard
driver, the application, Elvis or who or what? Or is it just magic :-)?

Thanks
	Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>