Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 10:05:06 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: StrongARM and history

(following up to -chat, where it belongs)

On Wed, 20 May 1998 at 10:24:21 -0700, Ross Harvey wrote:
>> From: Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
>> Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 22:16:34 +1000 (EST)

>>> I suspect you'll find a NetBSD version.  (There was a talk at AUUG'97
>>> on DEC's NC `DNARD', based on a SA-110.
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Word has it that DEC sold out to Microsoft and scrapped the project.
>
> Yes, NetBSD supports the arm32 and the DNARD (there are at least a thousand
> around here and there) in particular.
>
> I heard that rumor too, that M$ said: "So, if you want Windoze NoThanks to
> keep running on the alpha, cancel that NC project".
>
> But, I don't totally believe it. They may have even said it, but I bet
> Compaq would have pulled the plug anyway: I mean, the whole point of the
> NC is to make an alternative to the corporate PC avalanche...why would
> Compaq fund such a thing now that they have the keys? Of course, the
> cancellation did seem a little early to be a Compaq move. Who knows?

Your prejudice against Compaq seems ill-founded.  They didn't buy up
Tandem and DEC just to kill their operations.  I do a lot of work for
Tandem, and I'm very impressed about how Compaq have focussed the UNIX
operation and got it moving ahead.  To turn the question around, why
would Compaq not fund such a thing now that they have the keys?

Greg