Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 10:45:57 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Herbert Chang <zhang_huabin@hotmail.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which mail server is the best: qmail, postfix or exim?

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, 14 November 1999 at 22:21:14 -0600, Herbert Chang wrote:
> > > I want to install a mail server on FreeBSD. There are many ports of mail
> > > server on http://www.freebsd.org/ports/mail.html. I wonder which is the
> > > best:  qmail, postfix, exim or other?
> >
> > I'm surprised nobody mentions sendmail.  It's still the most-used MTA.
>
> By virtue of legacy, sure. But I wonder what percentage of new
> installations it has. Based on the responses in this thread, I'd conclude
> that the world is moving on to newer things. Has postfix or qmail ever had
> _any_ remote security problems?

Has anyone looked at sendmail 8.10.0beta6 yet?  I'm just getting ready to
setup a new mail server at work using it (I'm one of those legacy
ppl...still prefer *BSD, still prefer wu-ftpd, yadda yadda)...it appears
to have alot of nice features to it, and some of them look like they are
working at addressing speed issues (improved queue managment, it look
like)...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org