Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:17:16 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for testers of MFC'd ATA driver take 2.

On Thursday 07 March 2002 11:28 am, Søren Schmidt wrote:

| Please let me know if this fixes problems you had before
| or brings forward new ones, and success stories are as
| usual always welcome :)
|
| Thanks!!
|
| -Søren

Sorry, I previously said that it was working fine (both version I and version
II).  However, I'm an idiot.

I never tried my CD-ROM!

Today I finally did, and it doesn't work at all -- it says "device not
configured" when I try to access it.  I double-checked, and if I boot with my
original installed kernel, the CD-ROM still works fine; moreover, my custom
kernel does have the CD-ROM enabled (CD9660 and atapicd).  I do have this
set, FWIW, and perhaps I should not:

device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15

and I also enable DMA to the CD-ROM.

I have some things to try (disabled DMA, for example), and a possible source
fo the difficulty is that I applied the patches to a 4.5-RC #5 kernel rather
than to an up-to-date stable.

This is on a Dell Inspiron 8000, with a CD-RW/DVD combo drive in the "fixed
bay."

Per "atacontrol reinit 0", I have this on channel 0:

i8k# atacontrol reinit 0
Master:  ad0 <IC25T048ATDA05-0/DA8OA70A> ATA/ATAPI rev 5
Slave:  acd0 <TOSHIBA CD-RW/DVD-ROM SD-R2002/1D26> ATA/ATAPI rev 5

Also, when I do the reinit, I get this in the log:

Mar 12 17:12:03 i8k /kernel: ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or
device

but no other indications, at either reinit or mount time, that anything's
wrong.

- Wanted to let you know that there's a problem & apologize for not noticing
it earlier.
- Will try disabling the DMA (though I doubt that will make a difference) and
cvsuping the to latest stable, and re-applying the patches, to see if that
makes any difference, and will look around for obvious diagnostic tools.
- Is there anything else I should be doing to help you diagnose the problem.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org