Date:      Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:18:50 -0500
From:      "Sean Heiney" <onet@shianet.org>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PPP problems

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01BD291E.6E1B9120

Hello,
=20
I recentally set up FreeBSD(2.2.5-RELEASE) on my home system. In my =
efforts to set up ppp (dial up/dynamic ip address) I have got pretty =
far. I'm sure I have all my conf files setup correctally. I've double =
checked them. I set up my script to connect to my ISP, and it works. It =
will go into packet mode and successfully connect. At this  point, I =
type "shell" in the ppp program after I dialed, to be able to execute =
commands while in the same terminal. As far as I know, when I'm =
connected, FreeBSD  doesn't know that I'm connected. When I try to "ping =
rs.internic.net" or any other server, I get an error message along the =
lines of "host not found" or "destination not reachable" or something =
like that. I'm not  sure of the exact error message. The point is that I =
can not contact any other  hosts while I'm connected. I have my =
nameservers setup right, and my resolv.conf, and every other conf  file =
according to the FreeBSD handbook on PPP setup. What are the possible =
causes of this problem?
=20
=20
=20
Thanks alot,
=20

Sean Heiney (sean@owosso.net)

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01BD291E.6E1B9120

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I recentally set up FreeBSD(2.2.5-RELEASE) on my =
home system.=20
In my efforts to set up ppp (dial up/dynamic ip address) I have got =
pretty far.=20
I'm sure I have all my conf files setup correctally. I've double checked =
them. I=20
set up my script to connect to my ISP, and it works. It will go into =
packet mode=20
and successfully connect. At this&nbsp; point, I type &quot;shell&quot; =
in the=20
ppp program after I dialed, to be able to execute commands while in the =
same=20
terminal. As far as I know, when I'm connected, FreeBSD&nbsp; doesn't =
know that=20
I'm connected. When I try to &quot;ping rs.internic.net&quot; or any =
other=20
server, I get an error message along the lines of &quot;host not =
found&quot; or=20
&quot;destination not reachable&quot; or something like that. I'm =
not&nbsp; sure=20
of the exact error message. The point is that I can not contact any =
other&nbsp;=20
hosts while I'm connected. I have my nameservers setup right, and my=20
resolv.conf, and every other conf&nbsp; file according to the FreeBSD =
handbook=20
on PPP setup. What are the possible causes of this problem?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks alot,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><BR>Sean Heiney =
(sean@owosso.net)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0024_01BD291E.6E1B9120--