Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:49:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        osa@etrust.ru
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: riva-glx (3d hardware acceleration) port

> % cd /usr/ports/graphics/Mesa3/work/Mesa-3.0/demos
> % ./gears
> GLUT: Fatal Error in gears: visual with necessary capabilities not found.
>
> What does it means?

I am not sure, as I did not encounter this error message so far.
My card is a RIVA 128 based Diamond Viper 330 and here it work.

Albeit I have to use a 15 or 16 bit color mode (maybe that is you problem)
and it works only if the display is configured for 640x320 and 800x600
resolutions.

I would suggest you read the docs in X11R6/share/docs/riva-glx,
there were some remarks.

Regards,
Marc