Date:      Sun, 07 Mar 1999 14:42:50 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        tim@scratch.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum again

At 01:41 PM 3/7/99 , tim@scratch.demon.co.uk wrote:
>its the newfs bit that was giving me a headache, mounted ok but on
>reboot put me single user as could not mount vinum drive

It should have mounted your vinum volume automatically if you put your
vinum drive/slice in your rc.conf. Does your rc.conf have a vinum_drives
option somewhere?
What was the error message?

>I had to vinum create configfile and then mount it manually.

What do you mean, exactly? Could you give details of your configfile? What
did you do to mount it?

>This could be a problem with the name or location of my config file is
>there a certain name or place for these ?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The vinum config file is only needed
once, when you do the 'create' command. After that, you just do 'vinum
/dev/somedrive' where somedrive is a drive on which you have vinum (like
/dev/wd1 or /dev/wd0s1h).

>Question:
>
>The concat form I thought does not do mirroring as it fills each
>subdisk in turn - is this correct ?

Right. Concat combines multiple vinum subdisks into one big volume.

>If not then how to get it mirroring would that be by having more than
>one plex on the volume ?

Exactly. I have volume usr, plex usr.p0 and usr.p1, subdisks usr.p0.s0 and
usr.p1.s0. Ditto for volume var.

>Do you use raid or raid-5, if so does it affect performance much ?

I don't know which RAID I'm using. Drive mirroring is either 1 or 0.
I don't have hard performance numbers. If you understand how the different
RAID configuration works, you can kind of reason which will be a better
performer and which will be more resilient to drives dying.

>What I really want to do sounds simular to your setup usr and var being
>mirrored and I want to have /home/data in a form whereby as and when it
>is needed I can add more subdisks or plexes whichever would be
>appropriate to extend the availiable space, rather than new disk, and
>copy accross.

So you'd have usr and var volumes (or maybe all under usr. if you don't
have a compelling reason for a separate var, you probably shouldn't have
one) with 2 plexes, and /home/data in one plex with multiple subdisks.
--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com ) ICQ UIN: 692441