Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 19:31:12 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@iDaemons.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, nakai@FreeBSD.ORG, dr@domix.de, demon@FreeBSD.ORG, gnome@FreeBSD.ORG, mi@aldan.algebra.com, ijliao@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, roman@xpert.com, greg@hewgill.com, jedgar@FreeBSD.ORG, jmz@FreeBSD.ORG, samy@goldmoon.org, dirk@FreeBSD.ORG, kanou@mil.allnet.ne.jp
Subject:   Re: Introducing USE_BZIP2{CMD,LIB,RUN} and BZIP2BASE

At Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:03:09 +0300 (EEST),
sobomax wrote:
> I do not see any problems with retiring bzip2 port in my variant -
> when the time has came just remove archivers/bzip2 and its traces
> in RUN/LIB/BUILD_DEPENDS of various ports. The former is common
> for both scenarios, while you have to do the latter at the beginning
> of your scenario anyway (i.e. convert RUN/LIB/BUILD_DEPENDS into
> various USE_*).

1. It's still uglier.  We don't need such kind of kludgy symlinks.
   Introducing BZIP2BASE is cleaner and matches the reality.

2. USE_BZIP2 implies EXTRACT_SUFX=.tar.bz2 and EXTRACT_CMD=bzip2 but
   which are sometimes unwanted.  Introducing USE_BZIP2CMD will solve
   this cleanly.

3. It'd be better to be consistent with what we are doing for OpenSSL.

4. You didn't object but agreed when we changed bsd.port.mk not to
   depend on archivers/bzip2 if the system has /usr/bin/bzip2.

--
                     /
                    /__  __            Akinori.org / MUSHA.org

"Freeze this moment a little bit longer, make each impression
  a little bit stronger..  Experience slips away -- Time stand still"