Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 2010 07:19:37 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        c0re <nr1c0re@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to higher major version directly or via small steps?

>I can't understand why should I use this "adm" tool instead of
>standard method, described in /usr/src/Makefile.

List subscribers generally ask that those sending messages to the list
place their replies below quoted material, rather than above it.

If you read /usr/src/UPDATING, you will see:

"To rebuild everything and install it on the current system.
 # Note: sometimes if you are running current you gotta do more than
# is listed here if you are upgrading from a really old current."

This same statement is valid with regard to releases, and the -STABLE
branches.  Engelschall's adm toolkit and associated scripts attempt to
"do more than is listed here," as Engelschall described clearly at the
link that Washington gave you,

http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/

'for upgrading from X-STABLE to (X+1)-STABLE ... the usual "build and
install everything from source" does not work or at least requires
additional preparations.'  I would qualify that "does not work" with a
"sometimes".  Of course you don't have to use this stuff, but you may
want to at least look through his scripts, to see if some of the steps
are applicable to your machines.  In any event, before you attempt a
major upgrade, you should back up your data, so that it will not be
lost if something goes wrong.  Also, you may want to consider simply
wiping your disks and starting afresh with new binary installation,
rather than attempting to upgrade directly.  Sometimes that is easier.
 You can always customize it later.

>And it's not an answer to this question:
>6.2 to 7.3 is which one of the folowing:
>- 6.2->6.4->7.0->7.3
>or
>- 6.2->7.3 directly?

See below.

>2010/10/4 Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com>:
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM, c0re <nr1c0re at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm interested in 2 updates:
>>> - from 6.2 to 7.3
>>> and
>>> - from 6.2 to 8.1
>>>
>>> Can I update directly from 6.2 to 7.3? like set RELENG_7_3 in supfile and
>>> make csup. Or I should update to 6.4, then to 7.0, and then to 7.3?
>>>
>>> And same question about upgrading from 6.2 to 8.1 - can i csup directly to
>>> 8.1? If not - why is it so?

You might as well do both updates in just one step.  You probably
won't gain much by breaking it up into smaller steps, and that will
take longer.  It may be quicker and safer just to start with a new src
collection, obtained via csup, svn, release media, or tarballs, rather
than attempting to bring a very old src collection up to date.

b.